top of page
  • Writer's pictureTanya Powers


Are You a Green Card Applicant with a Pending I-485 Adjustment of Status Application?

If so, you may be expecting to receive an employment authorization document (EAD) and advance parole (AP) combo card. However, USCIS recently began issuing the two documents separately.

What Is a Combo Card?

In 2011, USCIS announced that they would begin issuing employment and travel authorization on a single “combo” card for those green card applicants already living lawfully in the United States and filing an adjustment of status (AOS) application. By combining the documents, USCIS enabled applicants to carry a single document that was more durable and secure than the previous AP document.

Employment Authorization Card (EAD)
Advance Parole Document

Why Did USCIS Stop Issuing Combo Cards and How Does this Affect Me?

USCIS has stopped issuing combo cards in an effort to reduce growing EAD backlogs that have created employment interruptions for applicants. Because the two documents will now be sent to you separately, you may receive your EAD card before your AP document.

It’s important to understand that the EAD card alone will not permit you to travel and re-enter the United States. You must carry your separate AP document issued by USCIS to travel.

If you have questions, we encourage you to reach out to our office at Powers Immigration Law at (704) 556-1156.

293 views0 comments


bottom of page