top of page
Happy family


Proven Record

Immigration issues can be complicated and overwhelming for you and your family. Powers Immigration Law is ready to give you the peace of mind you need by guiding you through the process. We’ve been practicing family based immigration for years. Our clients can count on our experience to manage the legal framework supporting their endeavors.


Learn About Our Areas of Practice

We know that every case is unique and different, and will apply our in-depth knowledge to meet your exact needs.

Bridal Bouquet


Permanent Residence through marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.

When a United States citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) marries a foreign national because of love and the intention to build a life together, the foreign national may wish to immigrate to or adjust status in the United States. Generally speaking, a U.S. citizen or permanent resident is able to confer immigration benefits (a green card) to his foreign national spouse.

Keep in mind that approval is not guaranteed or automatic. It is important to be aware that these petitions are scrutinized not only to ensure that the marriage is bona fide (legitimate) but also to make sure it was not entered into for the sole purpose of obtaining immigration benefits.


K-1 visas for fiancés of U.S. citizens

When a United States citizen is engaged to a foreign national, the U.S. citizen may sponsor the foreign national for a nonimmigrant visa.

There are several steps to this process. First, the U.S. citizen must submit a petition for his/her fiancé(e). After the petition is approved, the foreign national fiancé(e) applies for a K-1 visa with the U.S. Embassy overseas.

If the visa is approved and the foreign national fiancé(e) enters the United States, the couple must marry within 90 days. After the marriage, the foreign national may apply to adjust his/her status to permanent resident. If the adjustment application is approved, the foreign national becomes a U.S. permanent resident (green card holder).

Diamond Engagement Ring
Happy family



U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents are able to petition for certain family members.

If approved and the priority date is reached, the foreign national family member may then apply for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status.



When an individual is granted permanent resident status (green card) through a marriage that is less than two years old, the foreign national spouse will receive conditional permanent resident status. Generally speaking, to remove the conditions on the permanent residence, both spouses must apply together to remove the conditional status within 90 days before the expiration date on the conditional resident card (green card). If they fail to apply to remove the condition during this time, the foreign national spouse's resident status will be terminated and (s)he may be subject to removal from the United States.

Wedding Car
Family Dispute


Waivers of grounds of inadmissibility

Individuals who would be found inadmissible to the United States for reasons such as unlawful presence may apply for a waiver in certain circumstances.

In the Classroom


Will I be scheduled for an interview as part of the adjustment of status process? With a few exceptions, applicants for family based adjustment of status are scheduled for interviews. Both the petitioner (U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident) and beneficiary (foreign national) must attend the interview.

Will my lawyer go with me to the interview? Yes, interview attendance is an important part of your representation. In addition to helping you navigate the interview, it is reassuring to know that you have someone in the interview that is on your side.

Will I receive copies of documents submitted on my behalf? Yes. At Powers Immigration Law we are committed to providing attentive service. We believe part of this service includes providing clients with copies of all paperwork submitted to government agencies as well as copies of all documents received from government agencies.  While the firm maintains copies in its files, we encourage clients to keep their copies of these documents as part of their permanent records.

Will bringing a lawyer to the interview cause me problems? You are legally entitled to bring an immigration attorney with you to the interview. In fact, having an attorney at the interview is a common approach to navigating the immigration process. A lawyer who can help to resolve confusions and clear up any questions that may arise without the necessity of post-interview follow-up is a welcome addition.

bottom of page